Monday, February 22, 2010

Topic 2: Did the book have a good ending

In the book of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, I believe it should of ended a lot differently. It felt to me like it was unfinished. It didn't say were he ended up in life, and should of told more about where he went from there. I wanted to know if he continued to stick it out with going to Reardon or if he went back to his tribe. That was a big decision considering Junior took that step to go to a all white school and leave his tribe to go to Reardon. On page 229 in the book it states, "So I looked up nomadic in the dictionary and it means people who move around, who keep moving, in search of food and water and grazing land."
"That's sounds about right."
"Well, the thing is, I don't think Indians are nomadic anymore. Most Indians anyway."
"I'm not nomadic," Rowdy said. "Hardly anybody on this rez is nomadic. Except for you. You're the nomadic one."
"Whatever."
"No, I'm serious. I always knew you were going to leave. I always knew you were going to leave us behind and travel the world. I had dreams about you a few months ago. You were standing on the Great Wall of China. You looked happy. And I was happy for you."
As Rowdy states that he knew it was Juniors destiny to go, would he still stick it though. I think he would keep going on just wish he could of stated it a little more about at the end. If he can forgive himself for leaving the tribe as it states on page 230 in the book then I believe he can do anything he puts his mind too. So even though I was unsatified with the ending, I know Junior will go forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment